Friday, October 10, 2008

Ch.5 Goals/Outcomes

One the curriculum ideologies that I found relevant to me was the "learner-centeredness" largely because I appreciated our authentic assessment class and our funds of knowledge book. More and more, I'm beginning to understand how important it is to include students when planning for your classess. The first thing I thought of under the "learner-centeredness" was put nicely as, "process rather than product". I'm trying to use the portfolio method with my fourth grade students and I'm finding it hard to adjust b/c for grade 4 there is no mandated guide to follow. It's funny how we want to teach what we want to teach, but when we have no guide, we, or I feel a little lost. I'm still trying to learn to think with this way of thinking.
The other two that I can relate to also were the social reconstruction section as well as the cultural plurism ideology. Under the social reconstruction ideology was a term we learned last year, "critical pedagogy" which closely relates to "learner-centeredness" as well. Thinking of these ideologies is like creating your own curriculum in your head because the students you have are unique to any other and their learning styles and what they know already will be different than any other class. I find this to be exciting because of that fact and because your plans will change every year (even though you might have the same general ideals). Under cultural plurism I think of our school. I believe this is what we are trying to do, that is to make sure our students understand that who they are and what they speak is important and worth more than what someone else might believe them to think. I think this chapter was the most I saw myself in.

No comments: