Monday, November 10, 2008

Powerpoint Papers

My idea of making a powerpoint is to do one for my animal unit, which I've started teaching. I think using the powerpoint method to create a webpage for my students is going to be a fun activity. I'm wanting to combine teaching powerpoint and the animal unit together if that's possible. After reading the two powerpoint papers and having seen Angass'aq's family page, I'm excited to develop one for my fourth grade students. What was exciting was when I read Cathy's paper, she mentioned teaching students vocabulary and recording them. Each student is going to research an Alaskan animal we are learning about. I'm thinking after researching the animal because students need to learn the name, what they eat, where they live, how their body structure helps them to survive and to include a not-so-known fact about them, after that I think it would be awesome if each kid is able to give a short report or something when they click on an animal. What I liked about Angass'aq's page was that it was interactive, and I'm hoping to make one like it. I hope to learn a lot more of powerpoint than I do now, which is just to use powerpoint for presentation purposes.
After reading the papers, I have two questions: If I am to publish this hopeful student-generated work, how would I get around the copyright laws mentioned, because I know we'll get our animals from the internet? And is this idea of having an animal page going to be too big to save onto a webpage (because both papers mentioned having too big size, memory, megabytes or whatever when they created theirs)?

No comments: